GrammaSheila'sPlace

This blog is just a place for family and friends to see what we're up to, without our having to generate more paper waste. It will not contain profound wisdom (not intentially, anyway), or snazzy graphics, and may even contain grammatical errors. I may occasionally post my opinion of what's happening in the USA and the world, but not very often.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sunday, June 17:
Sleep was a little hard to come by – the roosters were in full voice for most of the night. Taking a little walk around camp, I found there were about two dozen of them in cages near the dormitories.

We had breakfast at the camp, orientation and getting organized in the morning. As well as a little extra play practice! Then we drove to the chicken place near Los Botados for lunch. It’s in a little mall, so Vicki checked out the store next to the restaurant. I’d forgotten my sunglasses, and Vicki found some for a really cheap price. After a sumptuous lunch, we loafed in the plaza for a little while. There were a couple of boys offering shoe-shines, so Aresmende got his shoes shined all spiffy. Then we went back to the camp for a siesta, and to get ready for the welcoming service in the evening.

The pastor’s wife, Josie, was asked to take my part – “Millie” – only using her own name. It’s a bit with Rick trying to tell the ladies who prepare our meals that lunch was “delicioso”, with a little coaching from Phil. So, I was able to focus on getting the play on video. When we came to the end of the play, which finishes with singing “Yo Celebrare”, pastor and some of the church music team provided accompaniment! We weren’t expecting that, and it was really cool! So we repeated the chorus several times, with all the congregation joining in.

The children of the church did “I’m in the Lord’s Army” (in Spanish, of course) – I always enjoy watching them. They mime playing trumpets, along with all the other motions.

When Pastor Miguel got up to speak, he asked about Fred, and if his knee, which he injured a few years earlier, was okay. I said it was perfect and he was fine.

The children presented each of us with a welcoming card. Pastor called our names, one by one. Phil looks so much like a Dominican, that the child with his card got confused as to whom she was to deliver the card!

I asked Sheila for help in learning the words to a song they do every year that we are in church: “Alabare”. I tried to write it down as I was hearing it, but don’t think I got it quite right.

Got to be a bit of a late night, but it was terrific to share the time with our friends and family in Christ.